1930’S SCARCE GLASS LANTERN SLIDE MIM THE BUNGALOW ALICE SPRINGS STOLEN CHILDREN HALF-CASTE INSTITUTION Q47
We have on offer an original C.1930’S Glass Lantern Slide taken by a Methodist Inland Mission minister depicting ‘THE BUNGALOW’, Alice Springs. ‘The Bungalow’ was known as the ‘Half-Caste Institution’. It was established by the Commonwealth Government as a placewhere Aboriginal children of mixed descent wereplaced afterbeing taken from their mothers mainly by policeunder the 1911 ordinance. These children lived on the fringe of society at the stations, mining camps and other outback settlements and were considered at risk. The big mistake the government made in forcibly removing these children was to separate them from their mothers without consent. These were powerless people. Thefirst school teacher in Alice Springs, Mrs Ida Standley MBE was concerned that many Aboriginal girls were wandering around Alice Springs and werevulnerable. She provided a lean-to Bungalowbehind the Stuart Arms Hotel where they could reside and where she could offer them some protection. Thisbecame known as ‘The Bungalow’. These girls had not been taken from their mothers. As the numbers grew the makeshift accommodation becameunsuitable and thegovernment established an institution at Jay Creek west of Alice Springs where these children went and where the growing number of stolen Aboriginal children were placed by thegovernment. Mrs Standley went with the girls and became the caregiver at Jay Creek. She left in 1929. The watersupply became a problem and so in 1932 ‘The Bungalow’ was moved to the Old Telegraph Station a couple of miles north of Alice Springs. This is when this image was taken. The water in the foreground is the Todd River after rain. Note the smooth rock at the left of the image. The children loved to slide down this rock into the water whenthey bathed and swam there. ‘The Bungalow’ did not close until 1963. This slide is extremely significant and very scarce for it part of one of thesadest chapters in Australia’s Aboriginal history. Today the Old Telegraph Station is anhistorical museum. These extremely rare glass positive slides were found in an old shed here in Adelaide & it is believed they were once owned by a pioneer MIM (Methodist Inland Mission) worker who extensively toured Australian outback areas, in both indigenous & non indigenous areas.The slides were used for instructional & educational purposes both for public & MIM staff inservice & venues such as schools, community/charity & fraternal groups, universities & higher learning, public gatherings, churches & religious groups etc. Often they were used by thecinema/movie theatres just before the screening of their major movies ……. in this forum & context the slides were often coloured.The Methodist Inland Mission existed from 1926 to 1977working mainly in South Australia and the Northern Territory. Early images connected to the Mission are really quite scarce. The mission was travelling ministry designed to minister to outback people. This glass slide was produced by T W Cameron, Slide Specialist, 430 Bourke Street, Melbourne. He produced glass slides from 1926 to the mid 1940’s. The MIM was part of the work of the Christian Missions with outback people and Aborigines. Given the demise of the Aboriginal population as the white man intruded further and further into remote Australia Aboriginal people suffered loss ofculture, loss ofself-esteem, became fringe dwellers, contracted diseases from the white settlers, were subjected to different forms of abuse and had little access to the benefits of medical treatment, education and social advancement. TheChristian Missions were some of the first to do things to improve the welfare of Aborigines and to acknowledge the suffering of Aboriginal people, which these amazing slides partlydisplay. This chapter of Australia’sindigenous history is defining and significant. A lantern slide is a positive not a negative which means that very good quality prints can be made from them. Theshowing oflantern slidespreceded movies and by the mid 19th century it was a very popular form ofentertainment. People would travel around the country having lantern slide evenings in local halls. The slides covered many subjects. There was considerable interest in slides such as this one that told about different peoples and different countries. Missionary groups used them to tell people about the work of missionaries in faraway lands. The showing wasactually called a Magic Lantern Slide Evening given that the phenomenon was sounusual. The lanternitself was gaspowered to give the light required for projection. It is an image creating technique now long gone.
Width …….. 8.2 cms.
Height …….. 8.2 cms.
Weight …….. 50 grams.